ITC506 Topics in Information Technology Ethics - Assessment Item 3
ITC506 Topics in Information Technology Ethics - Assessment Item 3 - Argument Visualisation
Assessment items 3 & 4 are linked. In Assessment 3 you will create a simple argument visualisation using the MindMup software. In Assessment 4, you will produce a report which details the argument you construct in your argument visualisation (this assessment).
Choose ONE of the following media articles or case studies:
- Data Collection: “Harvesting” Personalities Online - An Ethics Case Study (https://www.scu.edu/ethics/focus-areas/internet-ethics/resources/data-collection-harvesting-personalities-online/)
- Who decides who dies in driverless car accidents? (https://www.campusreview.com.au/ 2018/10/who-decides-who-dies-in-driverless-car-accidents/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=CR+BN+Email+-+29+Oct+2018+%2ATerrapin&utm_content=campusreview.com.au%2F2018%2F10%2Fwho-decides-who-dies-in-driverless-car-accidents%2F&utm_source=apneducationalmedia.writemsg.com)
- Do We Want Robot Warriors to Decide Who Lives or Dies? (https://spectrum.ieee.org/ robotics/military-robots/do-we-want-robot-warriors-to-decide-who-lives-or-dies?utm_source=TechAlert&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=TechAlert_06-16-16&bt_email=maumi
- If computers think for themselves, should they have human rights? (https://www.technologyreview.com/s/531251/qa-with-futurist-martine-rothblatt/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=post)
- Apps and Privacy - An Ethics Case Study (https://www.scu.edu/ethics/focus-areas/internet-ethics/resources/apps-and-privacy/)
Now follow the instructions given below to complete the assessment task:
- Use the title of the article/case study as the title of your argument visualisation so that the lecturer knows which article you are analysing.
- Undertake further research about your chosen case and the ethical issue involved, to assist you in analysing it in your argument visualisation (and in your report in Assessment 4).
- Identify some logical arguments based on the four classical ethical theories including utilitarianism, deontology, contract, and virtue.
- Construct an argument visualisation using MindMup softw are. Your visualisation should contain the conclusion, and all of the reasons and objections leading to that conclusion.
- Your argument visualisation should present a logical argument for your subsequent report in Assessment 4. Your report will develop these arguments based on a deeper analysis of the ethical issue.
- Your report should contain all of the arguments contained in your visualisation, and you should not introduce new arguments in your essay that are not in your visualisation.
- When you have completed your visualisation, download it as a .pdf file and submit via Turnitin.